Tuesday, September 13, 2016

Update - Monitoring the Diesel Engine

After several little short trips with the ScanGauge Diesel Engine Monitoring Display installed on the dash, I have decided to upgrade to a hardware/software solution that most diesel pusher RV's are using these days.  Silverleaf Electronics created an interface to the standard J-1939 J-1708 diagnostics port that outputs digital information from most modern diesel engines manufactured since the late 1990's.  Combined with their PC software called VMSpc (Vehicle Management System), anyone can easily design their own instrument panel with a variety of gauges and displays.  To interface the engine/coach information with the software you have to buy a little black box and cabling they call the JIB.  This little magic box interprets the digital information being output by the engine and channels it through a standard USB cable to a Windows laptop or tablet running their software.  Here's a sample screen that's provided with the software:


Here's how I want to display the same info on my laptop.  I saw this layout provided by another RV owner using VMSpc and I liked how he utilized many of the optional features available for each gauge.  Notice that the VMSpc window is shared on the laptop display with mapping/routing software running simultaneously.  I like that idea, but I will probably stick to my iPad running Google Maps for our moving map display and routing instructions.


As soon as I receive the JIB and cabling I will provide an update here and post a screen shot of my final display.

No comments:

Post a Comment