Friday, July 15, 2016

Update - Monitoring the Diesel Engine with a ScanGauge

My new ScanGauge Advanceed Diesel Engine Monitor and Performance Gauge arrived the other day and I was anxious to hook it up and see what gauges my Caterpillar C7 engine would output. The installation was very simple and straight forward. The J1939 9 pin socket was located just below the instrument panel and to the left of the steering column. After plugging the ScanGauge adapter into the socket, I started the engine and the ScanGauge came to life after a few seconds and I did the setup per the instruction manual and began toggling through all the various gauges that my Caterpillar engine was reporting. Here's a list of what it displayed:

  • Miles Per Gallon
  • Miles Per Hour
  • RPM
  • Throttle Position
  • Coolant Temp
  • Average Fuel Economy
  • Trip Fuel Cost
  • Cost Per Mile
  • Turbo Boost Pressure
  • Battery Voltage
  • Intake Air Temp
  • Transmission Fluid Temp
  • Gallons Per Hour
  • Oil Pressure
  • Engine Loading
  • Horsepower
There are other gauges available, according to ScanGauge if you follow their instructions shipped with the unit.  You have to record the input from your particular engine and write down a bunch of codes and submit them to the ScanGauge technician and they will provide whatever additional info can be programmed into the memory.  I took the time to write down 50+ codes and have submitted them to the company.  We'll see what other info I might be able to monitor.

I found a convenient place to mount the ScanGauge on the Freightliner instrument panel, right below the tach/speedometer.  It's easily visible through the steering wheel and in line of sight of the road ahead while driving so as not be be a distraction.  Here's a couple of pictures:



I took it out for a test drive after it was mounted, and all functions are operating as advertised.  I'm glad to have this information about my diesel engine at my fingertips.  The ScanGauge is much easier than the factory installed engine monitoring system that's so hard to read and complicated to operate.

I would recommend the ScanGauge for anyone who is technically minded and needs to keep track of the health of the engine in their Diesel Pusher.




No comments:

Post a Comment